SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2002

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 23:40:09 -0400
On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 22:34:31 -0400, Michael Doelle
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>It has been conjectured that 'nilman' is the result of an Artificial
>Intelligence AI (as opposed to Giovanni's Air-Integrated AI) program
>written by a list member.  I think I said I did it, on BOTH nilman
>and Carl Heinzl.  :-))))<
>
>Someone used it on me, too, right after my first post on L. Can't remember
>who it was and too lazy to look it up.

It's soooooo easy ... on Google.  Your recollection is not quite correct.
Your FIRST post was in a 7-foot hose thread, in May 1996, one in which
Carl Heinzl was driven into such auto-pilot response mode that he said
a drysuit should be used diving in the summer in Cozumel.  :-)))

In the same thread you first appeared, Mika, it was MY debut too:
----------------------------------
Okay, here's my debut on the 7' hose debate, mostly giving counter
arguments/examples to Carl's one-size-fits-all hypothesis.

> Why bother with DIFFERENT setups.  You will KNOW your equipment BETTER
> if you work with ONE setup.  7' is *trivial* to deal with, in a cave,
> in open water, on the moon (well, I haven't tried the moon yet).  Go
> with what works in ALL situations and stop the gear jockeying.

Counterexample 1.   (Household)

I have a 2 ft. ladder to reach the top shelves in my home library.
I have 3 ft. step ladders for various garage chores.
I have a 6 ft ladder to reach ceilings, tall windows, etc.
I have a 8 ft., 16 ft., 24 ft. ladders for other outdoor chores.

Since the taller ladders are all foldable to 8 ft., and the 8 ft. ladder
certainly will do the work of shorter ladders, would I use an 8 ft. ladder
in ALL situations?    I think not.  :^)    MORE IMPORTANTLY, if I NEVER
do any job that REQUIRES a ladder taller than 3 ft., why should I buy
an 8 ft. ladder?    These are close analogs to the 7' vs 3' hoses debate.

Counterexample 2.   (Diving)

I wear lycra skins, 2 mm, 3mm, 1/4 in. wetsuits, and drysuit, all depending
on the water temp, and the practical idea of "minimal trim" for optimal
buoyancy control.   A drysuit works in ALL situations.  Wear a drysuit
ice-diving in New Hampshire, cave in Florida, and 85F open water in
Cozumel?   Nooo way, Padre.  :-)   Not this Feesh!

Counterexample 3.   (St. Carl Special :^))

I freely admitted I would use the 7' hose to sip liquor out of Carl's
ponies.   A 3' hose should be plenty long to sip liquor out of an SA.  :^)
But I would NOT use a 7' hose to sip drinks from a 12 oz. cup...  :) :) :)

Counterexample 4, 5, ... ad infinitum

Tank sizes;  number of back-up lights;  etc., etc. ...   different optimal
sizes for different environments.    Hogarthian may be the best standard
for cavers ... but I'll be arrested in Cozumel (or any other of my frequent
dive locations) and placed in a strait-jacket if I suited up on a dive boat
in full-cave Hogarthian style.  :^)    It WORKS in 85F drift diving.   But
it works MUCH BETTER without!

St. Carl > Go with what works in ALL situations and stop the gear jockeying.
Senor Feesh > Go with what's best suited for the SPECIAL diving environment!

Not to let Hugh off the hook entirely for raising the question in the first
place -- it's almost like asking what's the optimal length of pants that
will fit divers of all sizes.   My answer: "My current size fits me.  YMMV."
--------------------------

Well, Mika, that debate wuz 6 years ago, pre-dating many of the present
Scuba-SE folks.  Wanna rekindle this debate?   :-))))

I also found this about 15 subscribers named Mike or Miahael:
------------------------------
> [log in to unmask]                      Mike Cochran

YIKES!!!   That must've been my Freudian slip to have slipped THIS one.
Senor Sigmund has been on by back making me slip a lot lately.  Wonder
why Mikey hadn't posted his "who am I and what do I do?"   HAHAHAHAHA.

> [log in to unmask]                           Wood, Mike'
> [log in to unmask]               Michael Doelle

That's the German NED Mike whose girlfriend was allegedly ecstatic when
she heard about Gerrit's 42" hose in the Long Hose thread.
( snip )

-- Bob.