SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2002

From:
Robert Delfs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 16:51:59 +0800
On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 05:16:34 -0400, Brad Stambaugh wrote:

>>" Also in certain areas ... the provinces east of Bali - we have done
>>in-depth surveys ... and have come to realise that we are sitting on vast
>>marine resources.  In this respect I look at Manado, I look at Irian
>Jaya, I look at Maumere and I look even at Bali .. and I know that diving
>will become even more important to us."
>
>From what I read, these vast resources will be just a memory which few people will ever see. Aren't the reefs being destroyed in this part of the world? The people seem to be caught between subsistance living, and a developing economy, so crazy things are going on like dynamite fishing. And I saw a report that said Indonesia has three times the pirating than the Philippines. I don't know if this is only in certain areas, or if it's widespread.

It is certainly correct to say that there has been extensive reef
damage in Indonesia due to destructive fishing practices and other
causes.   But there are extraordinary sites in Indonesia where the
extent of damage is still relatively limited and where protective
programs are being put in place with some success (e.g., the
Komodo/Rinca Island area, is now part of an ambitious protection
program supported by The Nature conservancy).   Further east, there are
more remote sites which exhibit extraordinary biodiversity and which
have so far escaped serious degradation from anthropogenic causes
(e.g., the islands around Alor and the parts of West Papua (formerly
known as Irian Jaya).

Robert Delfs

Robert Delfs
Reply to:  <[log in to unmask]>