SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2002

From:
Brad Stambaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 04:09:59 -0400
On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 00:58:01 -0500, Don Ward
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Brad Stambaugh wrote:
>>Of course I have ideas! I've been looking at warm places on the map ever
>>since I returned home from the Caymans. :-)) Excluding the ever popular
>>Cozumel just because that's where everyone goes
>
>Agreed re Coz, but it may be it, just b/c easy and cheap.

Easy, cheap, and good too. I hear so many people say that. But life is uncertain, so I want to explore the best first. I've been learning about Micronesia, Melanesia, Polynesia, and Indonesia.

>>, how about Lighthouse and Glovers Reef in Belize,
>
>Been to Lighthouse.  Great but expensive.  Would do the Belize Aggressor
>over land.....and price is comparable!

So would I. And after the Aggressor I would explore the mayan ruins, and the rain forest.

>Glovers Reef is a possibility and also Ambergris (sp?)

Glover's Feef, Mayan ruins, and rainforest?

>>or St Lucia (the next Aggressor destination),
>
>Aggressor has (or will have) a St. Lucia destination?

Yes. I talked to Paul Hanes, (the owner of Aggressor, and the shipyard in Louisiana that builds some of the Aggressor yachts), and he said that they are going to have a St Lucia destination.

>>  or Tobago (great drift diving),
>
>Too far....but someplace I really want to go.

Would one more short flight be too much? According to "Best Dive of the Caribbean"; "American Airlines flies to San Juan, connecting with American Eagle, which flies directly to Tobago. BWIA has frequent flights to Piarco Airport, Trinidad, from New York, Miami, and Toronto, with connections to Tobago via Air Caribbean."

>>or Dominica (lush tropical island paradise to explore)
>
>Can't get there from here.....in a day.  Connections don't work (or they
>didn't last I checked).   Anyone know anything on air connections?  Last I
>looked, the last flight to Dominica left PR before my flight would arrive.

According to "Best Dives of the Caribbean"; "Reaching Dominica requires a stop in San Juan, Antigua, St. Lucia, St Maartin, or Guadalupe. From most European and North American cities it can be reached in a day's journey without an overnight stay. Liat, Air Guadalupe, Air Martinique and Nature Island Airways are the carriers from the larger islands into Dominica. Gateway islands are served by American Airlines" ...I realise this isn't definite information, but maybe it will get you started.

>>, Bimini Bahamas (should be inexpensive)
>
>Bland.  Any price is too much.

OK. :-)

>>, Bay Islands of Honduras ....
>
>Been there and done that.  Although I really like the price and mood of
>Laguna Beach Resort on Utila and could fly most of the way on miles.  It is
>like a live aboard on land.  Was just there last Feb, but may do it again.

And Bob said it sucked, so forget that.

>>Unfortunately, I may lack the first hand experience in these places, but I
>>make up for it in shear desire to go there. :-))
>>
>>Brad
>
>Thanks for the ideas.  I hope you and your son are well, my friend.

We are very well, thankyou very much. :-) We have been doing a lot of snorkeling together, and have been camping at the quarry the last three weekends. His biggest wish is to snorkel with dolphins, and I look forward to fulfilling his (and mine) wish!

>Dive safe,
>
>/Don

Brad