HP3000-L Archives

August 2002, Week 4

From:
Tom Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 21:35:39 -0700
[several snippages follow...]
> The new version (Version 0.96i) is now available for download at:
> Two new escape sequences have been defined:
> If QCTerm is in the unkillable state, (i) ALT+F4, ... bring up
> an "Improper Exit Warning" box, telling the user what to do. You may
> perform a hard reset to reset QCTerm's internal "unkillable" flag.

Ummm, doesn't "perform a hard reset to reset the unkillable flag" defeat the
purpose of an unkillable flag?  Users will quickly learn that instead of
<alt-f4>/exit/whatever, they will do a <ctrl-R> first [ctrl-r is WRQ's hard
reset -- dunno what qcterm's is, but you get the point] and you're right
back where you started: users "improperly" bailing out willy-nilly leaving
the host app in an uncertain state.  Then again, perhaps this is how WRQ's
emulator works [never had the need for this "feature" -- my apps aren't that
complex]

I *might* suggest removing the wording "perform a hard reset" from the
dialog box to "encourage" them to exit properly (but leave it in the printed
documentation so the smarter users can find it) or perhaps even replace it
with stronger language to contact the LOCAL administrator/program
manager/whomever thought it was a good idea to add this FIRST.  HOWEVER,
note I said "might" -- I realize this wording is in there to reduce support
calls that you receive on behalf of the users who don't know that their own
programming staff is the cause of this "headache", so, "it's your call" :)