HP3000-L Archives

August 2002, Week 4

From:
Charles Finley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:09:30 -0700
Hi COBOL fans:

We've been working with Microfocus COBOL for a number of years.  We've
worked with NetExpress on Windows and ServerExpress on UNIX and the iSeries
(AS/400).  One of the more intersting aspects of this is the discovery of
the power of the COBOL development environment.  In short, you can do GUI
and Web applications all within COBOL using the Microfocus tools!

Several friends have asked me if there's a way that they could get a quick
introduction to the Microfocus products.  I approached Irving Abraham of
Microfocus about it and we came up with the concept of some extended demos
at HP World.  Below is Irving's response to me about it.

If anyone is interested, please send your e-mail to Irving
[log in to unmask] not me.

Irving wrote:

Based on the number of responses to this note, Micro Focus is considering
having two one hour presentations at HP World 2002.

1) An Introduction to Net Express - This will be a short tour through the
windows based COBOL Integrated Development Environment (IDE) that is Net
Express. You'll see how the graphical debugger helps reduce application
development time and have a quick look at the host of rapid application
development (RAD) tools provided with the product.

2) Web enabling a COBOL Application - Once again using Net Express, we'll go
thorough the steps required to replace an existing user interface and expose
a COBOL application to the web.

If you would be interested in attending either of these sessions could you
respond with the following: 1-yes, 2-yes, or 3-yes (where 1 and 2 are the
above items and 3 means both), to [log in to unmask] we should
then be able to make the necessary arrangements.

Regards

Irving

Tel:  (UK) +44 (0)1635 565 315 - (USA) +1 408 222 0310
Fax: (UK) +44 (0)1635 33966    - (USA) +1 408 222 0303

Charles Finley
Transformix Computer Corporation
Oceanside, CA
(760) 439-3146