HP3000-L Archives

August 2002, Week 4

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 18:12:30 EDT
Tom writes:

> One possible reason for that is that the "Unix-Weenies" are shying away from
>  telnet in the first place SIMPLY because "password"-like data is
transmitted
>  "in the clear" and easily sniffable.  Most user groups I attend suggest
>  using SSH as a replacement to "telnet", and in fact, when I recently
updated
>  all of my machines, I explicitly did NOT enable or install the telnet
>  "daemon", opting instead to use (open) SSH.

There is an SSL (secure sockets layer) version for every major internet
protocol, although the only one you primarily see is HTTPS. Nonetheless,
there are equivalent versions for Telnet, FTP, NNTP, SMTP, etc. as well.

We don't actually write all of this underlying code for QCTerm ourselves.
Rather we simply buy it from /nsoftware and I've been very pleased with their
code. For $500, you get Visual Basic "controls" for telnet, ftp, http, smtp,
etc. But for $1000, you can purchase the SSL versions of the same modules:

     http://www.nsoftware.com/ipwssl.asp

However, we haven't as yet spent the money for the SSL version of telnet,
simply because the equivalent code doesn't exist on the HP3000. But if
telnet/s becomes common on other boxes, we'll spring for the extra $500 and
install the SSL version of the code as well into QCTerm.

Wirt Atmar