HP3000-L Archives

August 2002, Week 4

From:
David Gale <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Gale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:52:34 -0400
From: "Wayne R. Boyer" <[log in to unmask]>

> In a message dated 8/21/02 3:43:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>

> > What happens during this process is the printer appears to delay when
> > printing.  It prints the data line (not blank) then kind of spins for a
> > second or two and then moves and continues... kind of herky jerky....
> >

> I'm not sure what is happening.  Try sending the printer a large file
> consisting of nothing but lines of 132 blanks and see what it does.  It is
> possible that the printer is just 'printing' blanks.  Smart printer
> controller software would sense an all blank line and just do a line feed.
> After doing this test you can try changing 1 character in each line (at
the
> end?) to see if you get about the same result.
>
> Wayne Boyer
> Cal-Logic

Sounds like the old 'remote spool printers'. They took longer to detect a
blank line that to print it (which they didn't).

I once wrote a program to re-parse the spoolfile and replace the blank lines
with linefeeds. OK, it wasn't pretty but it was better than re-writing every
program that sent output to that printer. And on a long run, it was much
faster. Of course that was some 14 years ago and I was a younger and more
foolish.

Ok, ok, I probably am still as foolish. Just slower.

Blessings!

Dave