HP3000-L Archives

August 2002, Week 3

From:
Tracy Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 09:32:11 -0700
> > IMHO a comment is a comment is a comment, and shouldn't be toyed with.
> > Otherwise, what good are comments?
>
> I agree with this point, though comments have been, and probably still
> are, used to write text (which could be terminal commands) to $stdlist.

exactly: terminal commands, not MPE commands.  They're embedded in a COMMENT
so MPE won't see them, they're none of MPE's business, leave them alone.

> It is likely that ignoring variable substitution will break something.
> Then you just argue is it worth it?

seems reasonable to me to just fix it; imho it's a long-standing bug.  if
you want a command processed, use a command that's defined to be processed.
ECHO?

OTOH, while it seems pretty foolish to exploit bugs, you can bet it's been
done.  so the benign fix would indeed include a user-settable
PARSE_COMMENTS? jcw.

re roy's & issue, just like comment is defined to be [text], & IS defined to
denote  a continuation, which applies to all commands; comment is a command.

thank you.

Tracy Pierce