HP3000-L Archives

August 2002, Week 3

From:
David Gale <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Gale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 12:03:11 -0400
This is most unfortunate:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Donaldson" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: HP3000-L Luncheon at HP World

> All:
>
> For those of you who are wondering how this thread about rock drummers got
> started......
>
> There were emails going back and forth regarding the HP dinner coming up
on
> September 25. I just happened to mention that this date would be the
> anniversary of the demise of the worlds greatest rock drummer of all time
> John Bonham.....
>
> I knew this would stir up a hornet's nest somewhat.
>
> I will stir it up some more -- here's my top three rock drummers --
>
> 1) John Bonham
> 2) Simon Kirke
> 3) Cozy Powell
>
> In the words of Page/Plant -- "I Hear The Dogs Of Doom Are Howling More".
>
> Brian.

I spent many years studying music, only to figure out I really didn't want
to be that poor (only a lucky few make it big, and not necessarily the
best).

First, music works as a contribution. Somebody hears a new concept, polishes
it and makes it their own, Somebody else hears that, it inspires then they
make a new concept. Repeat loop.

I will also say that I have had the pleasure of hearing many an aspiring
artist that was the equal to many of the drummers you have mentioned.
Unfortunately they didn't get the break. Perhaps they lacked the showmanship
or there just weren't any openings at the time.

One thing I have loved to experience in recent years is how many drummers
have increased the complexity of their drum sets and truly become
percussionists. This takes money, time and practice, but the results are
phenomenal. As this evolution continues, I think you will see many artists
take advantage of it, to our mutual benefit.

In short there can never be a best. If you check your history books, you may
find many comments on the lead percussionist of John Philip Sousa. He
apparently could do fabulous things with the drums of his day. Unfortunately
there was a lack of recording devices at the time.

Dave Gale