HP3000-L Archives

August 2002, Week 3

From:
Greg Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:11:22 +1000
(I sent this privately to Wirt and he suggested that it would be
good to broadcast it to the list).

We are in the process of "locking down" the users' sessions on the
HP3000 so that they cannot close the terminal emulator window
while they are still connected. This is to force the users to log off
the HP3000 application correctly. This is possible in Reflection, which
is the most frequently used emulator for our system.

We recently installed the Advanced Telnet patches and are planning to
promote QCTerm to external users (who are very budget-constrained),
especially to those over the other side of Australia who have been
experiencing very slow telnet access. I'm hoping that Advanced Telnet
will benefit them significantly.

What I would like in QCTerm is a simple way of disabling end enabling
the usual "exit" buttons and menu items, maybe by use of an escape
sequence or some other way of sending a command to QCTerm from
the host. This could be extended to have most or all configuration
options able to be changed by a keyword.

For example,
<esc.seq>exit-allowed true|false
or
<esc.seq>exit-while-connected true|false

The escape sequence could be the ones that Reflection uses:
ESC&oB<command>   which always returns a status code, and
ESC&oF<command>   which never returns a status code.

Is this possible?
Is this type of thing already on a list of things to do?
If it is on the to-do list, when is it likely to be available?

Thanks in advance.

Greg Chaplin
www.unisuper.com.au
UniSuper