HP3000-L Archives

August 2002, Week 2

From:
David Gale <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Gale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:14:22 -0400
From: "Richard Gambrell" <[log in to unmask]>

> Wirt,
>
> That was very well said.  HP's actions to bury MPE are
> without merit to it's long term customers, just like it's
> really very unjustified price increases for HP 3000 support
> contract.
>
> My conclusion is different, however.  MPE is dying, but that
> doesn't mean it's influence should.  The MPE community should
> bring to the open source/Linux community a strong sense of
> what make MPE great and help establish "a better than MPE"
> replacement shell, built on Lunix, and write an even better
> database than Image.

I don't think it's that much different. You have to start someplace, and if
you wait until you have a 'better' database and a 'better than MPE' shell,
then it will be years before you get anywhere, and the fire will fade.

I think the MPE shell/emulator is a good start. It will be up to us to
provide the 'better'.

Obviously you where looking forward, thanks.

Dave