HP3000-L Archives

August 2002, Week 2

From:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 10:49:31 -0700
Michael Berkowitz wrote:

> Sharron writes
>
> We have a new member to our IT team that came from a MPEX environment and
> is having a challenging time adjusting to MPE/iX.  She is trying to change
> the record lengths of several files on our system.  She used ALTFILE in
> MPEX but does not know what command to use in MPE/iX.  I am also new to
> the world of MPE and I am only familiar with a few commands.  Can anyone
> out there help us with this command to change record lengths.  Thanks in
> advance.
> MPEX means MPE extended.  It is a third party product designed to do things
> over and above standard MPE capability.  One of its enhancements is the
> ALTFILE command, something MPE does not have.  The only way to change the
> record length of a file is to build a new file with the newly desired
> length, copy the contents of the old file into the new file, purge the old
> file and finally rename the new file to the old file.
>
> :BUILD NEWFILE;REC=-newlength,,F,ASCII;DISC=oldfilelimit
> :FCOPY FROM=OLDFILE;TO=NEWFILE
> :PURGE OLDFILE
> :RENAME NEWFILE,OLDFILE

mike's solution is correct (albeit incomplete *if* you're wanting to alter a
file-set).  and it's the *quantity* of work that begs the question --

how much time (and time is money (salary)) is it going to take someome to craft
a complete/correct solution?  and how much does it cost to buy a copy of mpex?
imo, it's probably worth finding the answer.  (don't forget the overall benefit
of just having mpex available....)    - d

--
Donna Garverick     Sr. System Programmer

Come, my friends, 'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.
"Ulysses", A. Tennyson