HP3000-L Archives

August 2002, Week 2

From:
Michael Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 10:43:25 -0700
Sharron writes

We have a new member to our IT team that came from a MPEX environment and
is having a challenging time adjusting to MPE/iX.  She is trying to change
the record lengths of several files on our system.  She used ALTFILE in
MPEX but does not know what command to use in MPE/iX.  I am also new to
the world of MPE and I am only familiar with a few commands.  Can anyone
out there help us with this command to change record lengths.  Thanks in
advance.
MPEX means MPE extended.  It is a third party product designed to do things
over and above standard MPE capability.  One of its enhancements is the
ALTFILE command, something MPE does not have.  The only way to change the
record length of a file is to build a new file with the newly desired
length, copy the contents of the old file into the new file, purge the old
file and finally rename the new file to the old file.

:BUILD NEWFILE;REC=-newlength,,F,ASCII;DISC=oldfilelimit
:FCOPY FROM=OLDFILE;TO=NEWFILE
:PURGE OLDFILE
:RENAME NEWFILE,OLDFILE

Mike Berkowitz