HP3000-L Archives

August 2002, Week 2

From:
"Rao, Raghu" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rao, Raghu
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 11:27:07 -0400
H-P India to shut down manufacturing unit
PTI [ THURSDAY, AUGUST 08, 2002  8:25:51 PM ]

BANGALORE: H-P India is closing down its manufacturing plant here following Compaq India joining forces with it as part of the global merger, and shift the base to the latter's facility, H-P India's President Balu Doraiswamy said.

He told reporters here that H-P India had a manufacturing facility at International Tech-Park Limited and Compaq India at Yashwantpur here.

Now, all the products would be manufactured at the Yashwantpur plant, which has a capacity to manufacture 300,000 computers annually, Doraiswamy said.

He said the focus now is to leverage the partnership base of H-P India and pre-merger Compaq and increase marketshare.

There are no plans to hire professionals by the company in the next six to nine months for the domestic business as it is busy completing the reorganisation.

H-P India, Doraiswamy said, he saw opportunities in telecom infrastructure, finance industry, consolidatiton of various data centres, server consolidation, education market and managed service outsourcing.

"Overall, we have portfolio of products. We are looking at solutions and ramping it up with services with our customers," he said.