HP3000-L Archives

August 2002, Week 1

From:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 13:06:16 -0700
John Korb wrote:

> I can't speak for other sites, but here we are using POSIX.

join the three (that's a joke, folks!) other 'end-user' customers that are :-)

i'm basing my statements about the very slow posix adoption rate on the many
comments made on 3000-l....especially the ones that went (something like):

'now that mpe is dead, i guess i better start learing something about unix'

> As in so many things, there is a critical mass that must be reached before
> something significant happens.

exactly.  i'm afraid that is (a small?) part of why mpe was terminated was
because csy saw next to nothing happening with posix.  they couldn't justify
paying large amounts of money for something that wasn't being used.

> From my perspective, the POSIX features,
> capabilities, utilities, and packages were just reaching the point of that
> critical mass when 7.0 was released.

you may be right.

> It isn't one big thing that made a
> significant impact on the MPE/iX environment, it was a lot of little
> things.  Little touches that were missing or incomplete and which limited
> the usefulness of POSIX on MPE/iX.  And there is still room for
> improvement.  I'd love for GREP to contain several of the features
> (options) that are available with GREP on Linux as an example.

if csy had gotten sufficient user feedback that 'this' or 'that' was 'missing or
incomplete' in posix, it might have gotten fixed....but they didn't....and
now....<sigh>

> But shouldn't the success of POSIX on MPE/iX be that POSIX is being
> integrated into development efforts?  Isn't this proof that adding POSIX
> added considerable power and flexibility to MPE/iX?  Doesn't the fact that
> the new development uses BOTH MPE/iX features and POSIX features show that
> there is strength in both and that together they are more valuable than
> either is alone?

i've maintained this for a long time....afaik, it fell on deaf ears

--
Donna Garverick     Sr. System Programmer

Come, my friends, 'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.
"Ulysses", A. Tennyson