UTCSTAFF Archives

August 2002

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Yigal Levin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yigal Levin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 09:34:36 -0400
At 11:50 AM 8/17/2002 -0400, Harold A. Climer wrote:
>  I can see things from the bookstores point of view. If faculty wait till
>the last minute to order books they have lots
>  of competition from other faculty at other institutions. After all it
>takes a good deal of time for publisher/printers to set up presses for new
>runs of text book,even with computers to do the setups. Having worked for
>several summers for a printer in Baltimore, sometimes it is not worth the
>effort or
>expense to set up a press run for just a few copies.
>Harold A. Climer
>Dept. Of Physics Geology and Astronomy
>University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

All true. But threatening faculty is NOT the way to solve the problem. Do
they really think that faculty switch textbooks at the last minute just
because the feel like it? In any case, I certainly hope that the
dapartments refuse to pay for cancelled books! If the bookstore can't take
it, maybe their contract should be reviewed.

Dr. Yigal Levin
Dept. of Philosophy and Religion
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
615 McCallie Avenue