UTCSTAFF Archives

August 2002

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
"John W. Shumaker" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John W. Shumaker
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 15:04:54 -0400
August 9, 2002

Dear Faculty and Staff:

One of my duties as president of The University of Tennessee is promoting
and ensuring the safety of those who work and study on our campuses and
centers throughout the state. This important effort takes the cooperation
of many people throughout the University community.

To highlight the ways that everyone can contribute to a safe environment, I
am announcing a yearlong safety campaign with the theme "UT Safety Begins
With You." Over the next twelve months, this campaign will emphasize
measures we can take to prevent accidents and improve workplace safety.

As part of this campaign, I am asking all UT faculty, staff and student
employees to share their thoughts on how to make their work environment
even safer. We will hold competitions at major locations across the state
to judge the safety suggestions we receive, and winners will be selected
from each location. Information about the contest will be available from
campus safety officers and from posters, which will be located in public
places on all campuses.

Our goal is to increase safety and safety awareness throughout the
university, and I invite you to join me in this effort.

Cordially,

John W. Shumaker
President