SCUBA-SE Archives

August 2002

From:
Christian Gerzner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 18:39:48 +1100
Mark Goldsmith <[log in to unmask]>

> Could you please explain the reference to "pearshaped," as usual it went over
> my head.  In the States we usually refer to pearshaped as someone
> experiencing excessive hipspreaditis, a dreaded medical condition yes, but I
> don't get the relationship to faceplate colors.

Errrmmmm, I rather think Andy explained that one a whole lot better
than I *ever* could. ;)

Just quickly on that colour question. I am often bemused when
manufacturers use red to differentiate, especially, from black - as in
my Scubapro AIR 2: black body, red buttons. Red is the very last
colour choice (black is technically not a colour) I would make for
things underwater since red is the very first colour in the spectrum
that we lose in the water column. Since, then, red is the colour which
most quickly turns to black the deeper you go, it should be the last
colour used in a colour-critical situation ... for our purposes anyway.

Yellow buttons would have been a much better idea on that AIR 2 of mine.

Cheers,

Christian