SCUBA-SE Archives

August 2002

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:58:50 +1000
On Friday, August 30, 2002 12:14 AM, Reef Fish wrote:

(snip)

> When I saw "ku-ring-gai Chase" for the first couple of times, all
> I could think of was some tall Chase-Manhattan-Bank building and
> wonder why it had the funny Chinese name attached to it, since
> "gai" is unmistable "chicken" in the Chinese menu, and "ku-ring"
> could have been just about anything.  :-)

> I couldn't stand it any longer, and discovered (by peeking into
> my cheat-book) that it's the name of a NATIONAL PARK, an Aboriginal
> site in "Indigenous Sydney" no less.

> Now I wanna know the origin of the name "ku-ring-gai" and whether
> it MEANS anything in Chinese, or any of the Aboriginal languages.

Mate!  According to the guide book, "At least 10,000 years ago, say around
the last ice age, the Garigal clan moved into the region. Their language was
known as Guringai, which is where the park gets its name. They lived happily
in the area until white folk arrived (same old story)."

We bush-walk there quite regularly and there are some pretty amazing rock
carvings not far from one of the roads that are really worth seeing.  (If
Wings & Ani can do it, then so can you!)  :-)))

(Snip)
> Now I may have to book Strikinc's Limo Service for this tour, in
> advance. :-)  Strike may start regretting having made his offer. <BG>

No fear!  I'm looking forward to it!  :-)))

Christian wrote:
> >The locals will realise that I've suggested an anti clockwise route.
> >This is because we drive on the left and quite possibly 90% of the
> >views will be found on the left hand side of the car.

That's a good bit of thinking that I hadn't even considered!  :-))

Strike