HP3000-L Archives

July 2002, Week 5

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:35:26 -0700
Directory permissions are not sticky on MPE, i.e. new files created in a
directory do not inherit the permissions of the directory.

However, the umask command does control the default permissions used when new
files are created, but the same value applies to all files no matter where you
create them.

- Mark B.

Paul Gobes (at home) wrote:

> Is there also a way to setup the /APACHE/PUB/htdocs  directory to
> automatically
> assign this  750 permission to each new file added??
>
> I'm thinking about the umask command.  It currently says:
>
> shell/iX>  umask
> 0007
> shell/iX> pwd
> /APACHE/PUB/htdocs
>
> What's the '7' mean?
>
> Can I just do a  shell/iX > umask 7507   to solve my problem, or will it
> cause others?

Remainder of .sig suppressed to conserve expensive California electrons...