HP3000-L Archives

July 2002, Week 5

From:
Richard Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:02:31 +0200
Hi

I've complained about the HP3000 before and I'm going to do it again.

Since we've had our N4000, it has crashed probably about 9 times in a year.
In most cases we have taken a memory dump and passed it onto HP to
investigate.  Some results have been patches, some have been samba issues,
once it needed actually binary change.  I can expect problems and errors,
but what I don't expect from a machine like this is just to crash all the
time.

Now, even though I have used an HP3000 all my career, it is now impossible
for me to defend the machine any more and I want rid of this thing as soon
as possible.  It is simply not reliable, it crashes, often with no error
messages.

Tell me, is this because of the HP's lack of support for the machine, is it
the newer machines, or am I just very unlucky.

I'm going to start using Linux for free on a machine that costs about a 10th
of the price, but it's probably as powerful.