HP3000-L Archives

July 2002, Week 5

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 23:20:55 -0400
Tom Brandt wrote:

> I know you said ignore it, but what is BGP and ASN14209?

Border Gateway Protocol and Autonomous System Number.  In the grand
scheme of Internet addressing, thing of the ASN as a "zip code" that
gets associated with all of your public IP subnets.  Core Internet
routers then do their routing thing by "zip code" -- they don't need
to know the actual routing between individual subnets, they only need
to know how to route between zip codes.

We got our ASN last year and it was 14209, so at that point there were
just over 14200 recognized "autonomous systems" in the entire Internet.
They have added a few thousand since then.  But it takes a ton of
paperwork, details, and begging to get an ASN assigned to you, and even
more to get it advertised across the network.

If you are a typical customer of a typical ISP, they probably hold your
routes in their ASN.  If you have 2 or more providers, you almost have
to have an ASN and registered subnets of that ASN so you can be
portable.

Jeff