HP3000-L Archives

July 2002, Week 4

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 09:33:11 -0700
Chip ponders:
> For the last three mornings I have "successfully" used
> PURGELINK to remove an opened MPE file only to have
> it mysteriously reappear the next morning.  It seems
> to be the exact same file since all characteristics are
> the same even to having the same create date.

No, you're not dreaming, it's probably actually happening this way.

When you FOPEN (from the MPE point of view) your old permanent file, the
system knows that you have an "OLD", "PERMENENT" file open.  When you
:PURGELINK the file it then becomes a "NEW" file from the point of view of
the MPE program that has it open.

Eventually the program will FCLOSE the file, at which point it has a chance
to override the default disposition for the file.

In your case it would appear that the process that has the file open is
explicitly specifying the "SAVE PERMANENT" disposition (1) in the FCLOSE
call (or the ;SAVE option on a file equation).  This causes the file to
rematerialize as a permanent file at the point that it is closed.

Because it's still the same file, it will reappear with all of the original
attributes, including the creation timestamp.

G.