HP3000-L Archives

July 2002, Week 4

From:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 20:20:32 -0700
Terry Warns wrote:

[snip]
>Duane has indicated that his company felt that Eloquence was a good long
>term choice.  I would like to hear the reasoning behind that including any
>other users that have said that it was a good choice.

Our product (Vista) that uses Speedware is following the options
given to us by Speedware and by the prevailing market conditions
presented by our vertical market (which is price sensitive).
Speedware is supporting HP Eloquence and our market needs a reasonable
cost alternative to oracle, et al.

I have spent time investigating HP Eloquence and have taken the time to
listen to presentations and talk one-on-one with the HP Eloquence brain
trust. I feel confident they care about the product and given their
long-term existing user community I feel pretty good about this.  There are
lots of niche software solutions out there that are working just fine - for
databases and other things as well. Heck - I helped build a company on the
HP 3000 back in the days when all my friends using vax systems thought I was
crazy to use such an outdated 16-bit system :-)

Besides, I don't think you can call Image a leading database solution - not
now and in fact not ever. That is if you are going by market share, or
similar data points that make oracle, db2, sql/server etc. the leading
players in this market.

Now for some more info to make you think about all this:

For our other applications we are choosing an open source database that is
relational and sql-92 compatible. Compared to this choice, HP Eloquence is
so mainstream, conservative, and safe we don't even consider it
debatable :-)

For those who believe that open source, freely available databases, are not
worth investing your future product plans, I suggest you point your
favorite web browser at www.sapdb.org and spend some time checking out
their story. Not only will you have an entirely new perspective on the
open source movement, you just might find the motivation and ammunition
you have been waiting for to justify selling the last of your oracle
stock holdings :-)

And I can guarantee you that my Linux, SAP DB (or PostgreSQL) based solution
will have an incredible TCO advantage over any other iSeries/db2 solution.
And I bet my solution will even be faster and more easily enhanced/changed
to take advantage of emerging technologies.

duane percox