HP3000-L Archives

July 2002, Week 4

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 11:58:30 -0500
Perhaps I am breaking netiquette here and if so, I apologize.  Jean has
contacted me directly and we have been working on this issue for a little
bit now.

Here is what has been ascertained.

The SSD (Solid State Disk) works fine connected to a Fast SCSI SE
connection, however, the performance is not optimum.  Jean reports the
access time and I/O rate to be very high (random mode), but sequential mode
is the same as other disks.  My thought is that the access time and latency
on this SSD are vanishingly small and thus he gets great access rates.
Since it is connected to a Fast SCSI connection, there is a limiter on the
transfer rate, less than 10MB/second.

Jean wanted to move the SSD from a Fast SCSI SE connection to a FWD SCSI
connection on his pre-PCI system.

The ODE/MAPPER reports the device name properly and at the same path as what
is defined in SYSGEN.  This means the SCSI connection is correct and the
device responds to SCSI inquires properly.  He has configured the device as
an ST34573W, a device that uses the SCSI_DISK_AND_ARRAY_DM driver.

Jean says the system comes up without any LLIO errors and device 8 (the SSD)
is shown as available.

DSTAT ALL does not list the device.  Any attempt to manage the device with
VOLUTIL gives the message to the effect there is not volume mounted.

In my opinion, which in this case is subject to change, the device is
electrically correctly connected.  It also responds to basic SCSI requests.
When used through the well know Fast SCSI driver and connection, it works
fine, but there are some problems with the FWD connection.  Nowadays, all
efforts are on LVD connections such as Ultra2, 3, 160 and 320.  The odds of
getting this device to work with a FWD are between slim and none and at this
time, Slim is packing to leave town.

Kind regards,

Denys. . .

Denys Beauchemin
HICOMP
(800) 323-8863  (281) 288-7438         Fax: (281) 288-7438
denys at hicomp.com                             www.hicomp.com