HP3000-L Archives

July 2002, Week 4

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 23:12:25 +0200
Paul wondered...

>Is there also a way to setup the /APACHE/PUB/htdocs  directory to
>automatically assign this  750 permission to each new file added??

When you use tools in the Posix Shell to maintain your web pages,
you can use something like "umask 0022" for example, which is the
octal value that will mask the w permission at "group" and "other"
level, i.e. "rwx rwx rwx" will drop to "rwx r-x r-x" (0755).

When you happen to use Samba to maintain your web pages, you can
use the "create mask" and "directory create mask" in smb.conf (but
must keep in mind that the Samba folks don't use the umask logic
to define the bits that should be cleared, but the ones-complement,
i.e. umask 0022 relates to "create mask = 0755").

 [htdocs]
   comment = for web page maintenance
   path = /APACHE/PUB/htdocs
   guest ok = no
   user = mgr.apache
   only user = yes
   write ok = yes
   directory mask = 0755
   create mask = 0644

I am using 0644 above as x permission only makes sense for
directories (traverse) but not for html pages, gif files, etc.

Lars.

(okay, I admit, this response was somewhat Samba biased ;-)