HP3000-L Archives

July 2002, Week 4

From:
"Thomas M. Root" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas M. Root
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 15:52:35 -0400
On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:57:14 -0700, Titus, Bill (Indsys,IT/e-Business)
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>We are trying to change our DTC48's from being connected to a local HP3000
>to connecting to a remote HP3000 over a routed network.

Bill,

This doesn't address your original question, but if you want to connect your
DTC over a routed network and you have Cisco routers at each end, you might
want to look into Data Link Switching (DLSw) at:
     http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/697/index.shtml

I'm not familiar with the details, but this is a software option that can be
loaded into the endpoint routers that wraps the AFCP protocol in a standard
TCP/IP packet which is sent to the other endpoint where it is unwrapped and
placed on the local network segment as AFCP.  Between the endpoints, any
intervening routers just see TCP/IP and process it like any other packet.

This lets your 3000 communicate with DTCs over a routed network without
having to do anything special to either the 3000 or the DTCs.

HTH

Thomas M. Root