HP3000-L Archives

July 2002, Week 3

From:
"Tom H." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom H.
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 11:17:03 -0500
 (Sorry if this is a duplicate posting.  Google is being difficult today...)

After upgrading to gcc 3.0.4 (having deleted directory /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib
and everything below it to get rid of previous versions), I got these loader
errors after recompiling an existing program with fairly minor changes:

 UNRESOLVED EXTERNALS: _ZdlPv  (LDRERR 512)
 UNRESOLVED EXTERNALS: _Znwj  (LDRERR 512)
 UNRESOLVED EXTERNALS: __cxa_pure_virtual  (LDRERR 512)
 UNRESOLVED EXTERNALS: __gxx_personality_sj0  (LDRERR 512)

Strangely enough, after I went into LINKEDIT and issued an ALTPROG;UNSAT=
TERMINATE command, just to see what would happen, the loader errors changed:

 UNRESOLVED EXTERNALS: _ZTVN10__cxxabiv117__class_type_infoE  (LDRERR> 512)
 UNRESOLVED EXTERNALS: _ZTVN10__cxxabiv121__vmi_class_type_infoE  (LDRERR 512)

As a test, I commented out code for the only class with a pure virtual method
and recompiled, and the __cxa_pure_virtual loader error disappeared.  From this,
I'm guessing that the unresolved externals are part of gcc itself.

Mark Bixby was kind enough to respond to me offline that the problem might be
(to quote) "The ABI changed between 2.95 and 3.x. This indicates you are using
the older library with code produced by a newer compiler.".  However, I don't
know enough about gcc to be able to find the file(s) involved.

Has anyone else had these errors?  Any ideas how to fix them?