HP3000-L Archives

July 2002, Week 3

From:
Campbell Fethers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Campbell Fethers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 18:47:04 -0500
 Donna wrote:

> hi all!
>
> i was wondering if anyone had ever seen this?  i'm running a
> job on a 6.5pp3 machine that's designed to create a boot
> tape.  i started this job early friday afternoon -- and it's
> (technically) still running.  i've used this job before,
> without any problems, btw....and no, it's not waiting on a
> tape reply.  stdlist for sysgen is directed to a disc file
> and this is what's at the bottom of this file....
>
>     0   67107839 /var/stm/logs/tools/63/info/
> DISC                        :C      32 HFSDIR     1 -  1
> 32     1    0
>     0   67107839 /var/tmp/
> SENDMAIL TO SYSGEN FROM STORE FAILED. (S/R 1741)
> ^^^^^^^^^^
>
> what's that?   oh -- in case anyone is wondering.  this
> system is 'quiet'.  all the background jobs (including
> sendmail -- which shutdown normally) have been halted.  the
> network is still running.
>
> lastly -- the job is hung.  it won't abort....and i'm off to
> go reboot the system <sigh>           - d

Bill Cadier responded:

> There has been only one report of this (that I can find) that says that if
you're
> creating an SLT/STORE tape and more than 32K files were stored the 16 bit
> value used to communicate this back to SYSGEN via the CM SENDMAIL
> intrinsic overflowed. The SR dates back to pre-release 5.5 (1996) and is
> 4701321604. The 'workaround' is to store less than 32K files.
>
> It also said SYSGEN then marked the tape bad, it didn't mention hanging
> STORE but then the original incident was a store to tape.

Just this morning, we had the SAME PROBLEM!
SENDMAIL TO SYSGEN FROM STORE FAILED. (S/R 1741)

Machine is hp927 6.5pp?, no longer supported <sadness>.
Up until three days ago, the daily backup/SLT worked flawlessly.
Two days ago, the backup failed due to suspect tape.
Cleaned the tape drive (DDS2), and inserted different tape.
No problem aborting the backup job this morning.
System quiet during backup, no network running.

Waiting to see if it does the same thing tonight....

Campbell.