HP3000-L Archives

July 2002, Week 3

From:
Larry Simonsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 14:16:11 -0600
try http://www.microplex-usa.com/printers.htm

first search for continuous laser printers with google.com

there may be more.

Larry Simonsen                        Phone: 801-437-3737
Flowserve Corporation            Fax: 801-491-1750
505 E. Technology Ave http://www.Flowserve.com
Bldg. C, Suite 3100           e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Orem, UT 84097
All opinions expressed herein are my own and reflect, in no way, those of
my employer.

                    "William L.
                    Brandt"              To:     [log in to unmask]
                    <[log in to unmask]       cc:
                    M>                   Subject:     Re: anyone doing high volume printing with Printronix?

                    07/19/2002
                    02:07 PM
                    Please respond
                    to "William L.
                    Brandt"

Tracy - I'm sure that 2566 printers are dirt cheap. We bought this one
well-used, about 8 years ago - and original owner was Boeing Computer
Services who really used it. This printer is probably the equal of the
legendary IBM 1403 from the 60s.

The only thing that has made us search for a replacement is that
occasionally it "burps" - prints an intelligible line.

And our maintenance people have tried to fix it - but it is one of those
intermittent errors.

Could be in the printer bank, could even be in the HPIB card.

I do believe for high volume printing a printer with a towel ribbon is hard
to beat - but according to our maintenance guy they aren't making those any
more - so the surviving ones will become harder to service.

I wish someone made an **inexpensive** laser printer that printed
continuous
forms. We  need continuous forms because we run  these cards 2 up though
the
printer - then cut them with an equally ancient buster.

This 2608 has been a disappointment for us - if the people we bought it
from
don't want it back  I may just offer to give the thing free to anyone
who'll
pick it up. It is fine for in house printing but when your final product -
that you sell - is the quality of the print - it isn't up to the job that
our old 2566 is...
Bill

> I'm really curious about this part:
> > Our 3rd party maintenance vendor was making noises that parts were
getting
> > hard to find, it was expensive to support, yadda yadda.
>
> granted maintenance is labor intensive thus expensive, but these printers
> are hard to break!  what's the going rate for a functional used 2566?
I'd