HP3000-L Archives

July 2002, Week 1

From:
Wayne Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 17:06:15 -0500
The article Dennis mentions has a couple of interesting paragraphs.

"The eruption is mostly burning hydrogen gas and solar particles which
     have been flung into space at around 100,000F, eight times the
     temperature at the core of the Earth, which is up to 13,000F - and hot
     enough to vapourise our planet should the Earth cross its path."

That sounds pretty scary.  But the next paragraph says:

"So much superheated hydrogen was involved in the eruption that
     although the gas is one of the lightest substances in the universe, it
     would have had a greater mass and weighed more than Mount
     Everest, our tallest peak. "

An Everest-sized mass is pretty large, but spread out over such a large volume
of space as this flare occupied (the length alone was over 240,000 miles),
wouldn't it be far too tenuous to pose any danger of "vapourising our planet,"
regardless of the temperature of the gas?  (Of course, if we were close enough
to the Sun come into physical contact with the flare during the eruption, I
suspect we'd be picking up enough radiation from the rest of the Sun to be
uncomfortably warm.  :-)

Wayne

Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]> on 07/02/2002 04:32:34 PM

Please respond to [log in to unmask]