HP3000-L Archives

July 2002, Week 1

From:
Erik Vistica <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Vistica <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 14:34:36 -0500
Bottom line at the top:

Even if you did port the Motif calls to MPE, you would still need the
mwm (Motif Window Manager) running too.

Skippable explanation here:

WRQ can correct me here if I make a misstatement about their product.
There are really 3 pieces in the X-window setup. The 'client' program
(which runs on your HP3000 server). The X-server (which runs on your
client PC or workstation). And the 'window manager' (which can run
anywhere, even a third system).

Motif is a set of calls built on top of the X-toolkit calls that are
built on top of the X-lib calls. MPE/iX used to have the Motif calls
that could be linked into a program that would then communicate to a
Motif Window Manager (not just any window manager) that is not provided
on the HP3000.

Reflection/X is the 'X-server' that runs on the PC to interact with the
PC hardware (mouse, keyboard, screen). It talks to a 'window manager'
that they don't provide.

So, where do you find a Motif Window Manager to complete the 3rd piece
of the setup?

Jim Fennell, Scott Mullen and Mike Yawn shared this wonderful learning
exercise with me :-) My only experince with this on MPE was in a very
early version of Java/iX that had the AWT (we currently don't support
the AWT nor Swing and never will since the Motif/iX product is
obsolete). We could export the DISPLAY var and send the window to an
HP9000 workstation just fine. We could not send it to a PC running
Reflection/X. It turns out that the HP9000 supplied the Motif Window
Manager that sits between the client code running on the 3000 and the
X-server running on the HP9000 workstation.

So, the *only* way we were ever able to push a Motif window from an
HP3000 to a PC running Reflection/X was to have an HP9000 supply the
Motif Window Manager (not too practical).