HP3000-L Archives

July 2002, Week 1

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 09:57:53 +0100
Michael Berkowitz wrote:
> Richard Barker writes

> Actually, seriously, why do you have a pledge of Allegiance
>
> Insecurity :-)
> Actually, seriously, why do you need divide people into two groups:
> Commoners and royalty, with nothing but accident of birth as the
> dividing point.

Well, Americans have something not dissimilar, albeit wider. The 'accident of
birth' as to whether you were born in the USA (and its variegated outcrops) or
outside it determines whether or not you can ever become President of the USA.

> Add to it the toadying of the commoners to royalty.
>Why should Tony Blair bow to Mrs. Windsor-Mountbatten, but
> not the other way around?

You are suggesting that these things are better decided by the pregnancy of
chads than of Queens?

> He worked himself up to his current position on the approval of the majority
(voters), has.

No. 'Labour achieved its 62.5% of seats on the basis of support from 24.2% of
the electorate'.
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/area/uk/e01/results.htm

> Can the same be said of the residents of Buckingham Palace?

Well, at least they know how to behave.

As Monica Lewinsky can no doubt testify, kneeling before *our* head of state
does not quite carry the same expectations as it has done in the USA....

--
Roy Brown
Posting with the OEnemy, tamed by OE-QuoteFix