SCUBA-SE Archives

July 2002

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 08:12:56 -0400
We were close to you on your return.  We took the new (new only to us) boat
down to the upper Keys on the 4th of July, spending the weekend without once
setting foot on dry land.  We passed Blackbeard's docks only a few hours
before your return.  We headed back home the following Saturday, a bit early
thanks to the temporary failure of one of our engines (since fixed,
fortunately inexpensively).  All of the Blackbeard's boats were back in port
by then.

> On the way back, I caught my first dolphin on a hook. It was a great fight
> between man and swimming thing. Both of us thinking of survival and
dinner.
> One of us was thinking more about dinner than the other, I surmise. Oh, by
> the way it was a Mahi Mahi fish, not a mammal that I caught. What a blast.
> Now I'm looking for a Mahi sticker for my truck. I saw one on a truck out
in
> the everglades, but I did not get a chance to talk to the "bloke." How do
> you say "bloke" in southern-ease?

Give me your preferred dimensions and color and I'll see what I can do.
Most of the boating and sporting stores around here have dolphin stickers.
They're the sport fish of choice for those who prefer to eat what they catch
and would rather catch something than spend the day fishing for something
that may or may not be in the mood.

> Let it be said now that in the Keys, we snorkeled with Dolphins (wild one
> who came up to our dive boat), and saw a hammerhead shark (along with tons
> of reefies). Other wonderful fish encounters were also on the menu.

You were very lucky.  In all my years of diving down here, I've never been
approached by wild dolphins and have seen only one hammerhead while I was in
the water.  Reef, bull and nurse sharks are a bit more common.

> How do you say "bloke" in southern-ease?

I don't think there's a good translation.  Options probably include "dude,
guy, mac and bud," but none of these really covers the range of your
"bloke."  We tend to use terms with a more specific meaning, like "asshole,
jerk, tourist . . . ".

Lee