HP3000-L Archives

June 2002, Week 4

From:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 18:51:08 -0400
Some feedback on Samba 2.0.10 and a request for feedback from others
running Samba 2.0.10.

I've been running the 2.0.10 version of Samba (Thanks Lars!) since late
February, and the "reduced logging" version (Thanks Lars!) since mid May.

I've been quite happy with it, particularly the May update (much smaller
Samba log files!).

I've only had one strange thing show up.  Every once in a while (it has
happened five times in four months) a Samba process apparently decides to
loop and eats as much of the CPU as it can.  One rather idle day (our
production hours are from mid afternoon to oh dark thirty) I decided to let
it run for a few hours to see if it would eventually terminate or return to
good behavior.  No such luck.

I don't know what causes the looping, and it is infrequent, so I can easily
live with it.  I'm wondering if anyone else using Samba 2.0.10 has
experienced this.

Also, can someone remind me of the easy way to convert a PIN to a PID as
next time I'd like to see who the user is and while SHOWPROC shows the PIN,
SMBSTATUS displays the PID.

For anyone who might be interested...  While our A500-100-140 (with three
100BT NICs) easily survives 175 simultaneous share connect attempts, there
seems to be a knee in the curve at about 190-195, and things go downhill
from there.  At 220 the CPU goes 100% busy for about two-to-three minutes
and the console is spitting out Samba messages as fast as it can.  At 250
you have trouble logging in NS-VT, and at 300 there is a good chance that
any NS-VT, Telnet, or FTP sessions will be dropped.  I use "simultaneous
connection attempts" as a metric because while the 3000 is on a UPS, the
collection PCs are not, and when the reboot after a power failure, they all
try to connect at once (the inbound buffer pool numbers are not a pretty
sight).

Thanks,

John