HP3000-L Archives

June 2002, Week 4

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 09:22:53 -0700
Arthur Frank wrote:
 > In your in-laws' case, I would guess that Utah "used up" their share of
 > water in other parts of the state, whereas California, Arizona, and Nevada
 >  still have some to use.  California, everyone's favorite punching bag,
 > gets the blame...  :-)

And sometimes the blame is justified.  ;-)

For many years we've been drawing more than our legal allotment of Colorado
River water, because the upstream states had not been using their full
allotments.  However, due to population and economic growth in those upstream
states, they now want their full allotments so California must cut back.

California is currently making voluntary efforts to cut back.  The feds are
standing by to impose mandatory cutbacks if we don't get our act together.
California politicians are now starting to covet Imperial Valley agricultural
water (go to www.latimes.com and search for "Imperial Valley").  80% of water
use in California is agricultural, and there is room for improvement in
efficiency as well as sanity (i.e. instead of growing water-intensive crops
that require price supports in order to be viable, just fallow that land and
sell the water instead).

If you think the great California electricity shortage was fun, just wait for
the great California water shortage...
Remainder of .sig suppressed to conserve expensive California electrons...