HP3000-L Archives

June 2002, Week 4

Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:59:25 -0400
I must confess a morbid curiosity, how many companies are also giving the
5th as a company holiday?

Since we're off topic, I will also mention that the 4th of July, Christmas
and New Years are, AFAIK, the only holidays, whose day of week change.
Memorial Day and Labor Day are always Monday, and Thanksgiving is always
Thursday. Whatever day of the week Christmas and New Years Day (a week
later, but of course in the next calendar year) are on, the 4th of July is
on the next day of the week. This year, Christmas and that subsequent New
Years Day are on Wednesday, and the fourth of July is Thursday. So, those
companies that give Monday off before Tuesday holidays, or Friday off after
Thursday holiday, never have to contend with all three in the same year.
Such largesse only costs companies one or two extra holidays per year.

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com