HP3000-L Archives

June 2002, Week 4

Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 15:32:19 -0400
>   1) Each and every one of those H1B workers is successfully
> living on the salary they are getting.  It isn't unthinkable.

But some of the conditions are unthinkable. They may be able to keep body
and soul together, for years. But resulting poor health will likely shorten
their lives, for those living under adverse circumstances. At least one of
the articles referenced did detail some pretty awful living arrangements.

Sun built a large campus in Burlington, Massachusetts. I've been joking with
co-workers about a hypothetical new hire and recent college graduate who
looks at $1000 a month apartments, and realizes just how well equipped the
Sun campus is. Presumably, it has a "sleeping room", a gym with a shower, a
cafeteria that serves three meals a day at least five days a week, and a dry
cleaning service. With a gym locker in which to keep clothes and toiletries,
a car trunk for other items, a cell phone, and a P.O. box, said new hire
could get by for months without an apartment. $1000 a month makes a lot of
student loan payments.

But how long could one stand to live this way?

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com