HP3000-L Archives

June 2002, Week 3

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 07:47:07 -0500
Francois Desrochers wrote:
> Roy Brown wrote:

>> Fair enough, but it *doesn't* move me to the nearest line
>> to 100 - it leaves the '*' line exactly where it was. So why not
>> 'Error: No Line'?

> To be honest, I don't know exactly why this is not an error. If it
> were an error, the following command would stop immediately and not
> list lines 200 and 300:
>
>    /List 100,200,300
>
> Again, is this good or bad?

I don't know.... probably good.

But it *is* the sort of thing that explains why my initial request was
hesitant; this L 100,200,300 syntax (which I've never used, and didn't know
about), and what it does at present, is the sort of thing that I didn't want
to advocate breaking, through ignorance.

>> There doesn't seem to be any way I can find to change this behaviour,
>> either in List or Set List, though I might have missed some other
>> setting that will do it..

> There is no way to change this at the moment.

OK. Good to know I haven't missed a setting, then.

>> A colleague has kindly pointed me to 'VI 100' - which
>> *will* start its display from the next nearest line after 100 without
>> complaint, when 100 doesn't exist. Although this difference doesn't
>> seem to be documented in the QEdit manual..... :-(

> Here is the difference: when you enter "/List 100", you are
> requesting one specific line. When you enter "/Vi 100", you are
> requesting one or more lines (as specified by the Set Vis Above and
> Below settings) around line 100. Line 100 is only a reference point.
> Similarly, "/L 100/" would also work as you are specifying the
> starting point.

As we have seen, that is 'work' in the sense of 'will produce a result',
though not the result we are looking for....

>> Can I get 'L' to do what I want, or are there drawbacks in this?

> As mentioned above, there is no way to change this behavior at the
> moment. We can change it in a future version however. For
> compatibility reasons, the current behavior would be the default and
> the "new" behavior would have to be enabled via a Set command. For
> example:
>
>     /Set List Nearest On

Yes, I fully concur with this. There may well be existing QEdit scripts
which users have and which *rely* on the current behaviour of 'L 100'.

> If you think the current behavior should generate an error instead of
> a warning, let me know. Again, this would be a settable option. For
> example,
>
>     /Set List Nolineerror On

No need for this one, as far as I am concerned....

> Seriously, since at least 2 people think this is not correct
> behavior, we'll consider it for the next release. If someone else
> wants this functionality, please let us know. Send an email to
> [log in to unmask] and mention this thread.

Thanks.

--
Roy Brown

Posting with the OEnemy, tamed by OE-QuoteFix
http://jump.to/oe-quotefix