HP3000-L Archives

June 2002, Week 3

From:
Tom Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 00:11:32 -0700

HP's website has been rather dismal for the entire HP3000 line for some
time -- I have a system I bought "used" which only had the Fortran compiler
on it, I'd have liked to buy the C or even Pascal compilers, but there
doesn't seem to be a way to do it FROM their website [this will degenerate
into the same old threads we've hashed over since the November announcement,
so I'll stop here ;) ]  OTOH: since you "don't know why" HP's website
doesn't have much on the system(s), I'd recommend searching the message
archives [see the URL at the end of this message, however this may not be
available "right now" as I heard the webserver that handles this was offline
for an upgrade/security patch]

> Does anyone know if there is an APL compiler for the 3k?

AS to APL, however, there *WAS* a version available for what is now known as
the "classic" series of systems [meaning it "should" run on current systems]
I believe it was only an interpreter, however, not a compiler.  I *also*
think you had to purchase a special terminal [one that understands the greek
alphabet :)] in order to actually use/enter some of the operators used by
the language.  I say it "should" run on new systems, but something at the
back of my mind is tickling a memory that *perhaps* APL required a special
ROM that was only available on "classic" systems -- this is only a vague
tickle, and the more I think about it the less likely it seems...

> And I suppose more importantly, if there is, why?  :o)

Ummm, "because APL is cool!" :)