HP3000-L Archives

June 2002, Week 2

From:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 08:13:39 -0400
My translation of the HP endorsement:

> Hewlett-Packard would like to acknowledge its working relationship
> with OpenMPE, Inc.  We are working closely with the OpenMPE Board of
> Directors to better understand the needs and concerns of the community
> they represent.  HP is pleased to have such a partner as we try to
> determine potential steps to address e3000 customer needs in both the
> 2003 2006 and beyond 2006 timeframes.

But, since HP defines "customer" as someone who has purchased in the last 90
days, there shouldn't be many needs.  And, besides, if something goes wrong,
HP has a partner to blame.  And, maybe, just maybe, this action will
forestall any contemplated litigation against HP.

> OpenMPE has been working with HP, Interex, and others to create a
> survey to better understand the nature and needs of this community.  HP

A survey will waste enough time so that even more of the people who are
considering home-steading on the 3000 will get nervous and decide to migrate
from the platform.

nature - n. 1. The universe; the forces or powers that animate and regulate
it.  2. The sum of an individual's personality and character, as, the nature
of an animal.  3. Any marked characteristic.

Hoo-boy, you'd need a brigade of psychologists and psychiatrists to
determine the sum of the 3000 home-steading community's personality and
character! They are, however, several marked characters with marked
characteristics!  :-)

> joins OpenMPE in asking that customers who anticipate running MPE beyond
> 2006 take the time to complete the survey.  The information compiled

[Is there something missing here?]

> OpenMPE and HP evaluate possible directions for moving forward.

"Possible directions", like HPUX or NT/LINUX on Proliant or whatever they
end calling the NetServer line.

In short, this is a nice way of saying "We're looking at it, but don't
expect too much"...

My views, not my employer's, etc....

Jim Phillips                           Information Systems Manager
Email: [log in to unmask]     Therm-O-Link, Inc.
Phone: 330-527-2124                         P. O. Box 285
Fax:   330-527-2123                           10513 Freedom Street
Web:   http://www.tolwire.com          Garrettsville, OH  44231

I WANT MY MPE!