HP3000-L Archives

June 2002, Week 1

From:
Jim Mc Coy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 15:47:35 -0400
Actually, HP and HP 3000 users, were sending a lot of business to India. My experiences have been in working with that specialized in sending non-english speaking HP-9000 programmers to work on HP-3000 Y2K remediation projects.  I've seen and heard of numerous fiascos from these guys.
All the work had to be re-done by English speaking HP-3000 programmers - but the original work was cheaper so that must count for something.

As I recall - HP was having a lot of work done by a company called Blue Star where unskilled programmers were working for about 1/3 of what they would have paid a U.S. citizen.

If you look at what is happening now - these companies are pretty much admitting that they want to get rid of thier American workers to cut costs.  They have layoffs to cut expenses and then hire foriegn workers (at lower rates) because there's a shortage of workers.

jm