HP3000-L Archives

June 2002, Week 1

From:
Ken Hirsch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Hirsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 13:12:01 -0400
From: "Jim Mc Coy" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 11:50 AM
Subject: Re: [HP3000-L] OT: H1-B

> You have all seen this, yet our elected officials refuse to recognize that
fact that salries for IT workers
> have been declining over the years, while the unemployement rate for
programmers has increased.

Salaries declined one year in a row.  They rose faster than salaries for
other professions throughout the 1990s.  The unemployment rate for
programmers increased after the collapse of the dot com/telecom bubble.
[...]

> You need only to look at DICE.COM and see all the job postings that are
clearly aimed at
> recruiting H1B workers - offering rediculosly low salaries (like 40k in S.
CA) with a note
> that they will sponsore an H1B.  Obviously, an adult American with a
family could never
> consider taking this job.

Strange, because I just searched on Dice.Com's Los Angeles page for the
words "H1B" or "H1-B".  I looked at the first 70 listings.  59 specified
_no_ H1-Bs.  The other 11 did not look like low end jobs:
http://www.dice.com/DandL/c/computch.UMAMFGFL.html
  pay not specified
http://www.dice.com/DandL/h/hcca001.201-0128-RFC.html
  $90,000 - $105,000
http://www.dice.com/DandL/h/hcca001.203-0130-COG.html
  $75,000 - $100,000
http://www.dice.com/DandL/r/rydek.03540.html
  60,000 to 100,000 per year
http://www.dice.com/DandL/r/rydek.03736.html
  70,000 to 90,000 per year

http://www.dice.com/DandL/t/trinus.BO.html
http://www.dice.com/DandL/t/trinus.INFA.html
http://www.dice.com/DandL/t/trinus.Seebeyond.html
  (Depending on Experience)
  These are permanent consulting positions with Trinus
  Corporation and may require travel or project-based
  relocation within USA and Europe.

  Excellent compensation package, including competitive
  salary, medical insurance, $100K life insurance,
  matching 401k Plan, Stock Option plan, vacation,
  holidays, training. Excellent opportunity for career
  growth.

http://www.dice.com/DandL/v/vislogic.ADP_MT53425.html
http://www.dice.com/DandL/v/vislogic.ADP_MT53990.html
http://www.dice.com/DandL/v/vislogic.ADP_T61450.html