HP3000-L Archives

June 2002, Week 1

From:
Jerry Leslie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Leslie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 02:31:52 -0500
David T Darnell ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: from http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/0603/p21s02-wmwo.html
:
:  ".....Information Technology Association of America. This lobbying group
:  successfully fought in Congress three years ago to expand the number of
:  foreign programmers and other skilled workers that high-technology
:  companies could hire under the H1-B program."
:
:  "Last year, IT firms laid off 2.6 million workers and hired 2.1 million.
:  The size of the IT workforce shrank from 10.4 million to 9.9 million."
:
:  ".... hundreds of thousands of IT workers are jobless or work in other
:  fields. Yet from Oct. 1, 2001, to March 30, 2002, employers applied to the
:  Immigration and Naturalization Service to bring in 105,800 more foreign
:  workers"
:
:  "...next year when the H1-B legislation will come up again in Congress.
:
:  Otherwise, the national ceiling for H1-B visas will revert from the present
:  195,000 annual level to 65,000 in 2004."
:
:  "Paul Donnelly, a Hyattsville, Md., consultant on immigration, suspects
:  at least 500,000 H1-B visa holders live in the US, many unemployed or
:  underemployed."
:
:
:  "The INS has indicated that it is not trying to track H1-B workers to
:  see if they still have a job, or to send home those who are jobless."
:
:
:  "'There are more than plenty of eligible US workers on the market,' says
:  Jessie Garrehy, a veteran recruiter in Silicon Valley"
:
:
: -Dave Darnell
:

   http://www.zazona.com/ShameH1B/Library/Archives/60Minutes.htm
   CBS News "60 Minutes" October 3, 1993 'North of the Border' Lesley Stahl,
   reporting

  "LESLEY STAHL: Those who oppose NAFTA, the North American Free Trade
   Agreement, argue that it will encourage American companies to go south
   of the border to replace American workers with cheap, foreign labor.
   Fact is, our government is already encouraging American companies to
   do ostensibly that, not south of the border--right here, north of the
   border, in the good old US of A. At a time when thousands of American
   computer programmers are having a tough time finding work, some of
   America's biggest companies are hiring cut-rate, foreign programmers
   to take their jobs.

   [snip]

              (Footage of Lewis Platt; Ukrainian programmers)

   STAHL: (Voiceover) Whatever they know or don't know, the big American
   companies sure don't want to talk to us about it. This is Lewis Platt,
   CEO of Hewlett-Packard. After he, and everyone else in the industry,
   turned down our requests for interview, we went and found him at a
   conference in Washington. Can you just answer one question: why you
   hire these foreign programmers in a time when American programmers are
   looking for jobs?

   Mr. LEWIS PLATT (CEO, Hewlett-Packard): No. Sorry, no comment.

   STAHL: It's not just Hewlett-Packard, sir, it's all the companies and
   we're told that you all know what's going on, that you're paying below
   prevailing wage and the reason you hire these people is to get
   cut-rate work. But the effect is to cut out the American programmers.

   Mr. PLATT: I-I really don't have anything to say about this. If you'd
   like to call our office, you know, perhaps...

   STAHL: Well, we've gotten no comment from your office.

   MR. PLATT: Well, I don't think we have anything to say.

   STAHL: Do you think you're doing anything wrong?

   Mr. PLATT: Ah, no, we don't.

   [snip]

   STAHL: After our encounter with Hewlett-Packard's CEO, Lewis Platt,
   the company decided to change its policies, to use fewer foreign
   programmers, and when it does, to make the body shops prove they're
   really paying the prevailing wage. And what you've just seen has not
   escaped the notice of the Clinton administration, which has asked
   Congress to change the law so that US companies would be forced to
   look for Americans first before hiring from overseas. Congress is now
   considering those proposals."

People can write their elected officials about the UNenforced H-1B laws.
The voting records, postal addresses, email addresses, and fax numbers
of elected officials, including members of Congress are available at:

  http://www.vote-smart.org/index.phtml
  Project Vote Smart - A Voter's Self Defense System

If they do reply, they'll tell you how H-1Bs are necessary because of
the lack of skilled workers, or provide an assurance like Senator Orrin
Hatch that H-1Bs are paid the prevailing wage, in a reply to one of
his constituents:

   http://www.zazona.com/ShameH1B/Library/Politicians/Hatch.htm

  "I assure you that measures are included in the American
   Competitiveness in Twenty-First Century Act to safeguard American
   workers' jobs. For instance, the employer is required to pay the
   foreign worker as much as other employees in the same job or the
   current market value..."

knowing that the INS has only 40 investigators to deal with visa fraud.

--Jerry Leslie   (my opinions are strictly my own)
  Note: [log in to unmask] is invalid for email