HP3000-L Archives

June 2002, Week 1

From:
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James B. Byrne
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 17:19:53 -0400
On 1 Jun 2002 at 0:20, Wayne R. Boyer wrote:

> That's right, we are at war and have been at war for some time.  It's
> just that almost everyone ignored Osama's statements until 9/11.

No, the USA is not at war and we should all be thankful that at least
some people in charge of that nation have the restraint to keep it
that way, at least for the time being.  The metaphor of war has been
so misused by people who know little or nothing of violent, lethal,
combat that I believe that there exists a real danger that the citizens
of  western countries will fail to realize that there is a line between
criminal and warlike conduct.

The USA was attacked by a private, criminal organization that
espoused a crackpot admixture of cultural intolerance and political
naivety.  As the source is outside the USA the US military is being
used to deal with it simply as a matter of convenience.  The manner
in which the Barbarry Pirates were treated by the USN and USMC in
the early 1800s comes to mind as precedent.

War is far more terrible than most of us can imagine and thankfully
even fewer of us have experienced.  Personal death or
dismemberment are not necessarily the greatest of its terrors for
those that serve.  What preys on ones mind and conscience are the
consequences of decisions that one wished one never had to make,
and the mistakes that others paid for. The only saving grace for
many is that the situation was thrust upon them and that they did the
best they could under the circumstances.  This a far cry from what
OBL and those of similar ilk seek to carry out.

Sincerely,
Jim---     e-mail is NOT a secure channel
James B. Byrne                mailto:[log in to unmask]
Canada  L8E 3C3