HP3000-L Archives

June 2002, Week 1

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 14:43:19 -0500
LTO:  Linear Tape Open   It is a new standard promoted by HP, IBM and
Seagate to compete with DLT and its follow on sDLT.   There are two types of
LTO drives and cartridges, the Ultrium and the Accelis.  The Ultrium format
is used for high-speed, high capacity backups and the cartridge is very
similar to a DLT tape, with a single reel.  The Accelis format I geared more
at high-speed and rapid access, with the cartridge looking more like a DDS
tape, with 2 reels.

I have no experience with the latter format, but on the Ultrium format, the
cartridge is currently up to 200GB of compressed data, with 100GB of native
data.  The speeds are 15MB/second native and 30MB/second compressed.  The
latter speed can be exceeded, I have seen up to 43MB/second in some of my
tests.

HP, IBM and Seagate all make Utrium drives.

The format was introduced about 18 months ago and the HP drives now seems to
work well.

Kind regards,

Denys. . .

Denys Beauchemin
HICOMP
(800) 323-8863  (281) 288-7438         Fax: (281) 288-7438
denys at hicomp.com                             www.hicomp.com