HP3000-L Archives

June 2002, Week 1

From:
Jerry Leslie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Leslie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 14:01:56 -0500
rosenblatt, joseph ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Follow up on Malden Mills. The BOD of Malden Mills is trying to force Aaron
: Feuerstein out of running the company. They don't believe that his methods
: are best for the shareholder's  bottom line. (My source is a piece I heard
: on WBUR out of Boston.)
: As Mr.Feuerstein and his father and grandfather would have said "Och und
: Vay!" (Sighs and sorrow!)
: The opinions expressed herein are my own and not necessarily those of my
: employer.
: Yosef Rosenblatt
:
People should show some support for Mr. Feuerstein's example, and make
a statement against the anti-employee policies of the likes of Enron,
Polaroid, et.al.:

   http://www.usatoday.com/money/covers/2002-01-15-bcovtue.htm
   Polaroid retirees lose benefits

  "After taking early retirement from Polaroid, Karl Farmer called the
   company to ask how his first severance check would arrive. He was
   stunned to find out it wasn't coming at all. Polaroid abruptly halted
   severance payments to those who were laid off or retired early, and
   health subsidies for roughly 5,000 retirees, days before declaring
   bankruptcy Oct. 12. Despite the cutbacks, the company moved ahead with
   plans to give top executives millions of dollars in retention bonuses.
   That's when retirees began fighting back..."

Malden Mills doesn't make a consumer product, just fabric, like their
Polartec, which is used in the U.S. military's cold-weather uniforms.
The fabric is made in the U.S.A.

Malden Mills sells fabric by the yard for under $ 20/yard, whole rolls,
and swatches for $ 0.50, per the Malden Mills Store web site:

    http://www.maldenmillsstore.com/
    Malden Mills Retail Store

Anyone who appreciates Mr. Feuerstein's almost-solitary example that greed
is NOT good could purchase a yard or a whole roll of fabric, and have it
shipped to a suitable charity in their area for making blankets and outerwear
for the homeless people.

The donation of the fabric would be tax-deductible.

Their order could include a few swatches to be included in a suitable
messages to their Congressional representatives, etc.; e.g.:

  o "Enough is enough !"
  o "Greed is NOT good !"
  o "How would you like to be laid off ?"
  o "Outsource this !"

It's probably a dumb, corny idea.

--Jerry Leslie   (my opinions are strictly my own)
  Note: [log in to unmask] is invalid for email