HP3000-L Archives

June 2002, Week 1

From:
Art Bahrs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 07:54:45 -0700
Hi Jerry :)
    As an owner of a 1995.5 Tacoma 4x4 ... (one of the very first
purchased in the Portland, OR area!)  I was careful about checking how
much of the rig was U.S. manufactured....  I was surprised by what I
found... and see the section from NUMMI's website... Interesting that
U.S. made Toyota's will be exported to Japan soon!

 Personal Note:  I found that very few people realize that Japan drives
on the "opposite" side of the road from us and that that fact is one of
the major hurdles to getting U.S. made vehicles to sell in Japan....

Art "learning again :) or is that still? hehe" Bahrs

From NUMMI's Site:
New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc. is the pioneering joint venture of
General Motors Corporation and Toyota Motor Corporation. Established in
Fremont, California, in 1984, NUMMI helped change the automobile
industry by introducing the Toyota Production System and a
teamwork-based working environment to the United States.

Today, NUMMI has grown to become a company of 5,000 team members who
produce three award-winning vehicles: Toyota Corolla, Toyota Tacoma and
Pontiac Vibe. In 2002 NUMMI will begin producing a right-hand drive
Toyota, Voltz, which will be exported to Japan.

Throughout its history, NUMMI has worked hard to create a unique
corporate culture that borrows from Toyota, General Motors and the
nearby Silicon Valley environment. NUMMI's collaborative partnership
with the United Auto Workers has been the topic of numerous labor
relations studies. The company's core values are based on five
cornerstones: teamwork, equity, involvement, mutual trust and respect,
and safety.