HP3000-L Archives

June 2002, Week 1

Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 18:23:55 -0400
> One thing I think history has proven is that you cannot talk
> to fanatics,
> particularly religous fanatics, they do not listen and will
> do anything for
> their cause.

Sure you can talk to fanatics. Just be very careful what you say. Again, one
of the mistakes the FBI made with the Branch Davidians was not bothering to
understand even the most basic and obvious distinctives of their religion,
such as their holding to Saturday as their Sabbath. So, FBI agents tried a
maneuver when they figured that the Branch Davidians would be "in church",
on a Sunday morning. It did not go as planned. I think it would have been
far more effective to blare religious broadcasting at them than rock music.
The best propaganda is what you mostly agree with, and an effective strategy
against a faith is reasonable doubt.

And, while some sects believe that you can violate the tenets of the sect
when "on a mission", that it is permissible to tell "the Divine lie" or
worse, there usually are boundaries that adherents just aren't inclined to
cross. IOW, no, they will not "do anything for their cause". That can be a
good thing for all involved.

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com