HP3000-L Archives

June 2002, Week 1

From:
Jerry Leslie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Leslie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 14:01:49 -0500
David T Darnell ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Jerry Leslie wrote, in part:
:
: "That's enough to wonder how stable the U.S. will be."
:
: If tech workers can't get work, or have to take large pay cuts, and the
: problem continues to grow:
:
: Who is going to buy the high-dollar products? Third-worlders on third-world
: salaries, or maybe stereotypical K-Mart customers? The economy could fall
: into a deep recession.
:
: If half the people on your block cannot afford rent, mortgage, or car
: payments, what do you think is going to happen to people trying to forclose
: or reposess? How far does it go before people decide the system has failed?
: It has already gone further than, say, in the 1770's, but it is a much more
: complicated world today, and the illusion is better maintained.
:
: Anyone read the Mormon prophecies about the US falling into a state of
: arnarchy, the US government becoming ineffectual, and foreign troops coming
: in to restore order or administer martial law? Once, this sounded like so
: much paranoid hooey; now, it doesn't seem so far down the pike.
:
: Let my rhetoric go forth: "It is unpatriotic to send your work overseas.
: Buy American, hire American".
:
:

See americabetrayed's attached post, and my followup...